—NO ONE IS QUITE SURE EXACTLY HOW TO PLAY THIS GAME AT THE MOMENT?! On this point Hypefox is absolutely correct. When the equip rules came out I told the HeroClix face book group I’m in that this seems like a rule change that would affect all possession characters. People told me I was nuts. Then a second article came out that same day and confirmed everything I said. We still don’t know if equip applies to all resources. I think it does. Other people argue the other way and the Wizkids rules forum have ignored all questions on the subject. Maybe they will put out a rule book this year so we know how the @#$% to play this game. According to the magic 8 ball on my desk signs point to no, and that’s the most official answer anyone has on the subject.
— Wizkids apparently would rather fill this set with the entire staff of the Daily Planet then give you more than just a little Wonder Woman Content. There have been four different versions of Odin (Father of Thor) in HeroClix. There are still none of Zeus (Father of Wonder Woman). But, hey we got the generic investigative journalist I’m sure everyone has been waiting on. If you want an Ares you’ll still be using the one they published in the 2010 75th Anniversary Set, but if you were waiting on generic newsboys – you are in luck!
–Most of the Wonder Woman side of this set is in the form of Gods and they were all pretty cool. Their Divine Aura trait is both effective and thematic. My only complaint about the Greek Gods is that there aren’t more of them in this set. I would have like to see some legendary Greek heroes and even some Olympus guard generics that have a minion power with Deities.
–Wizkids has been making a big deal about saying they put tons of never before clixed characters into their newest sets, but sometimes remakes would be a good thing. For example, the Apokolips keyword did get a few new entries in Parademon, Brutaal, Steppenwolf, and Brimstone. However, Everyone else you’d normally associate with Apokolips (except Darkseid and Kalibak) has rotated out of Modern. We haven’t had a new version of Desaad since he was first made in 2002!
–Wizkids Collation issues are far worse in this set than we have ever seen before. A guy online posted a picture of two cases he bought were every single pack was duplicated in each case. Other reports have some bricks opening with no Chases and some opening with as many as seven chases. I would have thought it was a hoax but every time we played with this set at the store, we saw duplicate packs amongst what we opened. I’m a believer.
–There are four versions each of Superman and Wonder Woman in this set and all of them are at least good. The two chases especially are great. The real standout here is the excellent THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME trait that shows up on 2 versions each of Superman and Wonder Woman. If you have less figures on your team then your opponent, it will give a huge advantage.
Top Five HONORABLE MENTIONS:
5. SMWWG005R Titano – Of all of the new Colossal pieces Titano is the one that I am most likely to play as more than just a retaliation piece. The major reason for that is his low price of 75 points for 9 clicks that includes a stop click with Colossal Retaliation. It also doesn’t hurt that he also has a great trait, “MONKEY SEE LOIS, MONKEY DO: When a friendly character named Lois Lane moves, after actions resolve Titano can be given a move action as a free action to move up to the same number of squares. When a friendly character named Lois Lane makes an attack targeting an opposing character, after actions resolve Titano can make a close combat attack as a free action.” Metropolis teams will be making a monkey out of opposing teams.
4. SMWW041AE Superman Blue – He is that 50 point value where you would look for him to be a support figure. For his price you get a great taxi with a trait that protects your team from pulse wave. His 18 defense and energy shield/deflection will mean that your opponent will need to get pretty lucky to hit him from range. His 7 range, running shot, and energy explosion will punish opposing figures that group together.
3. SMWW050 Krypto – He’s a watch dog for your Kryptonians with his trait , “LOYAL COMPANION: When a friendly character named Superman, Superboy, or Supergirl within 8 squares takes damage from an attack, after actions resolve you may place Krypto in a square adjacent to the attacking character.” Beyond that he’s tiny, has 11 attack, he ignores shape change, and he ignores super senses.2. SMWW047 Lois Lane – For 45 points she has outwit, willpower, and the Superman TA. But what make really good is how hard she is to KO. Her special power states, “HUNTING DOWN A LEAD: Opposing characters can’t draw lines of fire to Lois Lane unless they are within 2 squares or she’s adjacent to a friendly character.” On top of that she has a second special power that states, “HE’S HERE WHEN I NEED HIM: Adjacent friendly characters named Superman can use Defend. If this power is revealed when taking damage from an opposing character’s attack, stop turning the dial. If you do, you may place a friendly character named Superman adjacent to Lois Lane.” Taken together those two powers mean you have to get next to Lois to hurt her and if you do hurt her then you’ll find yourself nose-to-nose with Superman. He’ll probably drop a car on you next turn.
1. SMWW042 Lori Lemaris – I love characters with Interesting traits that make you want to build a fun team around them. In this case Lori’s Trait, “THE SEA SINGS OF THEM: When Lori Lemaris or a friendly character named Mermaid is KO’d by an opposing character, opposing characters within 5 squares of the KO’d character that are occupying water terrain are each dealt 2 penetrating damage.” She begs to be used on a fully water map and/or with JLTW029 Ocean Master. And nothing says you can’t use multiples of her. Imagine your opponent KOing one of her and then taking 6 penetrating damage back in return.
On top of her great trait that she brings really good stats to the table. 11 starting attack doesn’t happen very often on a piece that is 45 points. In fact the only cheaper character in modern with 11 starting attack is… the mermaid from this set. Add to that triple target mind control (with no feedback damage), willpower, and a 19 defense when she is in water and you’ll really start to wonder why she is only 45 points.
Top Ten Figures in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN:
10. SMWW049 Superman – Some figures get a lot more millage out of the special powers granted by resources and/or entities. This is one of those figures. With nine clicks of life and 12 starting attack those stats are great for his point value. However the starting sidestep is a bit disappointing. Resources and/or entities can correct that problem. You should also factor in his awesome trait, “THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME: At the end of your turn, if Superman was given a non-free action this turn and an opposing force has more characters on the map than your force, place an Outnumbered token on this card. Give Superman a free action and remove 2 Outnumbered tokens from this card to make a close or ranged combat attack.” Given the right support this figure can be one of the top figures in the game.
World’s Finest Dawn of Justice (keyword: Justice League)
- SMWW049 Superman
- JLTW051R Batman
- AVXR100 The Phoenix Force (2 Assigned Characters)
- Justice League ATA
- ID Card of your choice
- Total=300 points
The phoenix force with two assigned characters gives out starting running shot and +1 damage! Add that to Superman’s Sidestep, his range, and Batman’s TK – you’ll be able to make a ranged attack into the opposing starting area starting from your starting area. If your THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME trait is active, you’ll be able to do absurd things like have Superman move 12 spaces and make a free action close combat attack (with an ultra heavy) while carrying Batman (who can use outwit perplex and Prob to help you)!
9. SMWW028 General Lane – Most sets have a 50 point uber-support figure and in this set General Lane is it… except that he only costs 40 points. What he brings to the table is a trait that grants the friendly figures Superman Enemy TA, he has the Police TA, enhancement, and leadership that can remove a action token from ANY soldier regardless of point cost. I’d strongly consider putting the general in charge of any
team army of soldiers.
7. SMWW033 Wonder Woman – It took a while for me to decide, but I believe Wonder Woman is the best 200 point deity in this set. (sorry SMWW023 Apollo and SMWW037 First Born) All 3 of them have the impressive trait, “DIVINE AURA: Wonder Woman can’t be targeted by opposing Outwit or Probability Control unless the targeting character is more points or has the Deity keyword.” But, there are three reasons why I believe Wonder Woman is the best. She has the Mystics TA, she has the THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME trait, and she has better keywords.
6. SMWW065E Superman – With SMWW049 Superman, SMWW019B Brutaal, and now SMWW065E Superman 175 points is the place to be when fielding a Superman (or faux Superman). This Superman shares the same trait as the other two figures, “WAIT, THAT’S NOT SUPERMAN…: If Superman is on your sideline when your opponent’s force is revealed and your force includes a character named Superman or Superboy of an equal or higher point value, you may replace that character with Superman. If you do, Superman begins the game with an action token.” What makes him better than the other 175 point Supermen on this list is his starting hypersonic and his incredible two stop clicks on the end of his dial. It reads, “WINTER PALACE: Superman can use Barrier, Regeneration, and Super Senses. When this click is revealed due to damage from an opponent’s attack, stop turning the dial, and after actions resolve give the attacker an action token. If you can’t, deal that character 1 penetrating damage.” It will be very hard for any solo character to knock this guy out.
5. SMWW063P Brainiac – Of the two possessors in the set, this one offers better powers (outwit, psychic blast, regeneration), but not as long of a dial. So depending on how long of a dial the character has that you want to possess, SMWW055P Eclipso may be better. However if you do chose to go with Brainiac, his mid dial special white power can be game breaking. It reads, “WORLD IS RUNNING LIKE CLOCKWORK: Once per turn when an opposing character is given a power action, you may immediately remove an action token from Brainiac.” If you chose to possess a character that starts at multiple point levels you may be able to start with this power.
4. SMWWG003P Brimstone – This the best of the retaliation attackers because you will ALSO get to retaliate with his penetrating poison after making your attack. It’s true his retaliation attack area of affect isn’t as large as someone like the Atom, but that just means it will be very easy to not damage your own team in the process. I suggest leaving this guy in your starting area and letting your opponent trigger him. At 20 points each you can even play multiples of him. You can only use one a turn, but you’ll have multiple “Brimstone Bombs” to throw at an opponent over the course of a game.
Example Team: Apokolips Now! (keyword: Apokolips)
- SMWW019B Brutaal
- JLTW206 Parademon
- SMWWG003P Brimstone
- SMWWG003P Brimstone
- SMWWG003P Brimstone
- SMWWG003P Brimstone
- Total=300 points
So using this team you can just send in Brutaal in as a distraction and let your opponent hit him. Hopefully you can mastermind all of the damage over to your Parademon. That first attack will start an unfortunate chain of events (for your opponent). On your turn your first Brimstone launches out of your starting area. It lands and immediately does an attack and then gets to do penetrating poison against any of opponents pieces that it’s touching. Your opponent might not realize that this will keep happening every time his attacks hit (including attacking a brimstone) until you run out of Brimstones or your opponent runs out of friendly figures. Probably that second one.
3. SMWW066 Wonder Woman – At 165 points this version of Wonder Woman is just really efficient for her points. Her 19 starting defense is really unusual for primary attackers under 200 points and her opening powers of hypersonic speed, super strength, and invincible are perfect. She never dips below a 10 attack value, her dial is 9 clicks long and, and she has a stop click with regeneration. Even when damaged, she very dangerous on every click. On top of all that she has the trait that protects her team, “COMMUNISM IS SOCIAL JUSTICE: When a friendly character with a lower point value than Wonder Woman is targeted with an attack, modify the attacker’s attack and damage values by -1.”
2. SMWW025 Artemis – Just like 175 points seems to be the sweet spot for Supermen, 125 points is the sweet spot for amazons. Artemis is my favorite because ever since the days of SI008B Ms. Marvel, I’ve had a real appreciation for flying, stealthy, close combat pieces. Artemis starts with Stealth, Flight, charge, indomitable, invulnerability and willpower. She has great attack values that remind me a lot of Brutaal, a dial that’s effective for all 8 clicks, and the and the Divine Aura Trait shared by all the deity. But what really puts her over the top is her special power, “I LOVE A CHALLENGE: When Artemis attacks only the highest point opposing character, modify her attack and damage values by +1 for the attack, and the damage dealt is penetrating damage.” She is definitely the best character in this set unless Wizkids choses to create a figure that disrupts the basic rules of the game. But they’d never do that…
1. SMWW060 Mr. Mxyzptlk – So Wizkids created a figure that messes with one of the most basic rules of the game. Now instead of you rolling your dice, your opponent essentially chooses if he likes what you rolled and if not he changes it. It’s not like Probability Control, you don’t get to try again and range is not a factor. He changes it and now that is what you’ve rolled. His trait reads, “MESSING AROUND WITH THE ODDS: At the beginning of the game, roll a d6 that can’t be rerolled and place the rolled result on this card. Give Mr. Mxyzptlk a power action if there is no d6 on this card, roll a d6 that can’t be rerolled and place the rolled result on this card. Whenever any dice that can be rerolled are rolled (including as part of a 2d6 roll), you may remove the d6 from this card and replace one of those die results with the rolled result from the d6 removed from this card.” There are so many times that anything Mr. Mxyzptlk rolls can be used, you don’t really realize it until you play against him. If he has a 1 showing then your opponent should expect to be the victim of a critical miss soon. 6 means that a critical hit for your team is coming. With a 5 he could guarantee you make a super senses roll. With a 4 he can guarantee that your opponent misses his super senses roll. A 3 can guarantee your opponent can’t break away. A 2 almost guarantees your opponent’s best attacker will miss next turn. And there are tons of other uses for his messing with the odds trait . If your opponent is using blades/claws/fangs or regeneration then they are at his mercy. So far I have not played a game against him without him turning one of my rolls that would have hit into a critical miss. That’s a huge swing in any game. And that’s why he’s the best figure in this set.