5. TMT042 Tyrannus (65 points) – When you absolutely positively need to fill the board with bystanders. This guy has almost zero offense and not much built in defense, but he generates a new bystander token every turn. Even if you never move the pogs you generate, they block line of fire and their plasticity stops opponents moving past them. Don’t think of them as bystanders, think of them as sticky blocking terrain tokens he generates each turn.
4. TMTG007P Frost Giant (20 Points) – As a retaliator he doesn’t have a high attack, but he can do 3 damage to your opponents whole team if you happen to roll well. The real reason he made this list is his low point cost and the fact that he can give any adjacent character an action token every turn whether or not he hits. Great in multiples.
3. TMT002 Loki (75 points) – He’s an army of illusions in one 75 point package. He doesn’t do a lot on offense, but if you roll well on your shape change rolls he will just keep multiplying until you are out of figures to place. I’ve had 6 in play at once. Others online report having a lot more.
2. TMT053A Hela (150 points) – She is not meta unless you really a build a team around her trait. See my previous article. She’s a lot of fun and very hard to put down with her defenses and healing abilities.
1.TMT104 Captain America (50 points) – For 50 points he gets 19 defense for most of his dial (thanks to his free TMTS102 Asgardian Shield) and he has a stop click! On offense he’s got steady attack values and his powers allow him to deal more than his printed 2 damage on every click.
My Top 10:
10. TMT013B Red Leader (50 points) – His special power allows him to use outwit and a special perplex that allows him to increase a single stat by up to 3! If you build your team with some other Thunderbolts on it, you can turn him back to click 1 instead of losing him the first time he is KOed. I’d recommend keeping a Thunderbolt thug in your starting area for that.
9. TMT022 Jane Foster (30 points) – Her ability to heal while either she or the target is based is unheard of. On top of that she has a trait that makes her untargetable to anyone 75 points or over. Even better if your opponent KOs any friendly adjacent figure (even a bystander) she can transform into TMT017 Thor and there is a 1 in 6 shot that she will be on her top click! It’s hard to go wrong turning 30 points into 100 points. Also of note, she (naturally) pairs really well with TMT049 Thor Odinson.
8. TMT062 Thunderstrike (115 points) – He’s an extremely efficient package for his low 115 point cost. His stats are well above average for his points, he can destroy equipment when KOed, adjacent friendly characters get +1 damage when attacking, and his free weapon is arguably the best in game because of the ability to heal the character using it.
7. TMT106E Hulk (50 points) – He has an extremely short dial at this point level, but the game has never seen a piece quite like him anywhere near his cost. He’s got a 12 starting attack, 4 damage, and the ability move his full movement value and still make an attack (with knockback)! He’s not even a slouch on defense with 18 defense and impervious.
6. TMTG006R Mangog (150 points) – Even though his colossal retaliation power is quite good, you’re going to want to play him at his 150 point level. And even though he’s a pretty good 150 point attacker you’re not going to want to attack with him, at least not right away. Playing him creates a mini game within your normal game of HeroClix. Your opponent needs to KO Mangog before he reaches their starting area. Otherwise they will end up facing a 400 point 16 click long Mangog – plus the other 150 points of army that you brought along.
5. TMTG001P Surtur (25 points) – He’s the best single target retaliator in the game. He ignores defense while attacking and then does an additional automatic 1 penetrating damage to every opposing character within 2 of himself. With a single perplex to his damage he could take out a TMT058R Uni-Mind including the stop click. With 2 perplexes to damage he can take a TMT058R Uni-Mind and KO all of the eternals that spawn.
4. TMT061 Thor (160 points) – He is unfortunately very vulnerable to outwit. But, if you can protect him from outwit, or if your opponent isn’t playing outwit, then you are golden. At that point you opponent will need to deal with a figure protected by invincible that can hit with a heavy object from 12 squares away (charge + 6 range) thanks to his free weapon Mjolnir. And the next turn Thor can do it again with the second object he was holding.
3. TMT049 Thor Odinson (175 points) – With hypersonic speed, 12 attack, and 3 great title character abilities this Thor is the best ever made. His first character ability allows him to make a second ranged attack in a single turn and the damage depletion modifier no longer exists. His 3rd character ability will just about cripple opposing forces if you can manage to pull it off. However, it’s his second ability that really has me excited. It gives him the ability to teleport over Asgardians to his side and they can act immediately. So Jane Foster could teleport across the board to heal him, or Fandral could appear and charge at a stealthy character, or a frost giant could show up to give an enemy a token, or Loki could teleport to Thor and block line of fire. You imagination and the Asgardian keyword are the only limits.
2. TMTG004P Carnage (10 points) – The ROC national finals proved that 10 points for a retaliator that generates an awesome bystander every time it retaliates is obscene. You can retaliate, drop a bystander, have it attack, and then walk carnage away from the fight in the same turn to do it all over again later.
1. TMT058R Uni-Mind (165 points) – There is not much I can say about this guy that you don’t already know. His ability to perplex pieces he calls in is arguably better then even using his perplex on himself. He’s the piece to beat right now and if you want to go to a competitive tournament then you need to have a plan for this guy.